What are we trying to learn?
The purpose of this study is to find out if an eye drop, which has been found to be effective in relieving dryness symptoms in individuals with dry eye disease (Xiidra lifitegrast 5.0% ophthalmic solution), also improves ocular comfort and reduces dryness when used by contact lens wearers over a period of 12 weeks.
You will be asked to attend 5 study visits over the course of approximately 3 months, which will include the following study visits:
• Visit 1 – Screening to determine eligibility – 45 minutes
• Visit 2 – Baseline measurements and dispense eye drops – 1 hour
• Visit 3 – 2-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
• Visit 4 – 6-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
• Visit 5 – 12-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
Total time commitment = 4.75 hours
The visits will include standard clinical procedures that you might encounter when you attend an eye exam.
What are the requirements?
• You are 18 years or older
• You have worn soft contact lenses for a minimum of 5 days/week for 6 hours/day over the past month (and are willing to continue to do so)
• You experience discomfort (e.g. dryness) when wearing your contact lenses
• You have used artificial tears or rewetting drops in the last month
In appreciation of your time, you will receive $95 upon study completion. All study products and a supply of the contact lenses (and care solution, as applicable) you normally use will be provided for the duration of the study. Parking tokens will be provided as required.
If you have questions or would like more information about this study, please phone 519-888-4742 or email COREstudies@uwaterloo.ca and refer to Study ID: COLLIE. You will be provided with all relevant study information prior to study enrollment, and you are under no obligation to participate.
How to participate
If you fit the requirements and are interested in participating, please complete and return the attached questionnaire to COREstudies@uwaterloo.ca and refer to Study ID: COLLIE. We will review your profile and completed questionnaire, then contact you with more info, including how to book a study appointment.