What are we trying to learn?
Xiidra (lifitegrast 5.0% ophthalmic solution) is a Health Canada approved eye drop that has been shown to be effective in relieving dryness symptoms in individuals with dry eye disease. The purpose of this study is to evaluate changes in comfort and dryness in contact lens wearers after using Xiidra for 12 weeks.
About the study
If eligible, you will be asked to follow the study instructions and attend the following visits.
• Visit 1 – Screening to determine eligibility – 0.75 hour
• Visit 2 – Baseline measurements and dispense eye drops – 1 hour
• Visit 3 – 2-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
• Visit 4 – 6-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
• Visit 5 – 12-week follow-up visit– 1 hour
Total time commitment – 4.75 hours
The visits will include standard clinical procedures that you might encounter when you attend an eye exam.
What are the requirements?
• You are 18 years or older
• You have worn soft contact lenses for a minimum of 5 days/week for 6 hours/day over the past month (and are willing to continue to do so)
• You experience discomfort (e.g. dryness) when wearing your contact lenses
In appreciation of your time you will receive $95 upon study completion. Parking passes will be provided as required.
How to participate
If you are interested in participating, please complete and return the attached questionnaire to email@example.com and write the study ID, “COLLIE”, as the email title. If you have questions or would like more details, please call 519-888-4742. You will be provided with all relevant study information prior to study enrollment and you are under no obligation to participate.
Safety during COVID-19
We want to let you know that we have revised several of our protocols to keep participants and researchers safe during the pandemic, including enhanced cleaning and mandatory wearing of masks by everyone. Measures we have taken to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 are explained in the attached “Information Letter: COVID-19 Risks for In-Person Research Study Visits” which we will ask you to sign in the event you participate. Please note that you will be within 2m (6 feet) of the researcher during some or most of the study visit time. At all times, the furthest possible distance will be maintained. Please note, if you are aged 60 and above, you are considered at a greater risk for severe illness from the COVID-19 virus.