The objective of this study is to determine if specialty contact lenses with and without a “HydraPEG” lens coating can improve symptoms of dry eye. These specialty scleral lenses rest on the white part of the eye (sclera). Due to their design and fitting, they can help relieve ocular discomfort and dryness in dry eye patients. For this study we are looking for symptomatic soft lens wearers and non-lens wearers to be fit with these lenses.
Both dry eye and non-dry eye participants are being recruited as part of this study. Participants in the non-dry eye group are being invited to join a control group of people without dry eye. Participants in the non-dry eye group will be selected based on their age and biological sex to match a corresponding participant in the dry eye group.
About the study
This study involves at least 6 in-office visits. The visits are:
- Visit 1 – Screening visit to determine eligibility 2hr 30min
- Visit 2 – Dispense study lens type #1 and lens training 2hr 30min
- Visit 3 – 2-week follow up of study lens type #1 1hr
- Visit 4 – 1-month follow up of study lens type #1 and dispense study lens type #1 2hr
- Visit 5 – 2-week follow up of study lens type #2 1hr
- Visit 6 – 1-month follow up of study lens type #2 and study exit 1hr 30min
Total in-office visit time commitment – estimated 10.5 hours
There are some questionnaires to be completed between study visits, estimated time commitment of 1 hour spread across the study period.
The visits will include standard clinical procedures that you might encounter when you attend an eye exam.
- Age: At least 18 years old and have full legal capacity to volunteer
- Experiences symptoms of dry eye (symptomatic)
- In good ocular and general health and a full eye exam conducted in the last 2 years
- Have a prescription of sphere between +20.00 and -20.00D AND astigmatism up to -3.00DC in each eye
- Anticipate being able to wear the study lenses for at least 8 hours per day, 5 days per week for the duration of the study
In appreciation of your time, you will receive $230 for completing 6 in-office, plus an additional $20 per hours if a lens modification is needed. All study contact lenses and solutions will be provided at no cost. If applicable, parking tokens will be provided.
How to participate
If you have questions about this study or would like more information, please call us on 519-888-4742 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and mention the study name SEAHORSE.
If you are interested in participating, please create a volunteer profile at the link below and we will contact you with more information. If you are already a registered CORE volunteer, please contact us using the link below and mention the study name SEAHORSE.
All studies conducted at CORE have been reviewed and received ethics clearance through a University of Waterloo Research Ethics Board.